Thursday, August 14, 2008

Let's Humiliate People - Iron Man and the Mighty Avengers

I just came across this little gem of an image in The Mighty Avengers #11 and spoilers ahead. Seriously, at this point I think I'm keeping reading just because I'm morbidly curious. It's like seeing a car wreck on the side of the road. But here's the picture:



The story arc, concluding here, is that . . . the Mighty Avengers think Doctor Doom did something bad and they go to Latveria to confront him. Despite the fact he didn't do it, and as far as I can tell he didn't even condone it, his refusal to bow down to Tony Stark prompts a fight. Doom was winning until, having written themselves into a corner, they have the Sentry do his deus ex machina act. I mean, I hope everyone who reads The Mighty Avengers gets it that the Sentry is this total deus ex machina, right? An excuse to have sudden inexplicable victories without having to provide a shred of basic justification? Whenever the writers want the story to end they say, "Oh, the Sentry kicks their ass." Mega-weak, but whatever.

What really gets me about this is that the Sentry just doesn't kick Doom's ass. He humiliates Doom by tearing off his mask, showing the Avengers, who react in a horrified way to Doom's disfigurement. And then Iron Man uses that opportunity to belittle his defeated opponent.

Is this really what people want to see? Heroes degrading their enemies? Shaming and humiliating them, and then bragging about their victories?

I mean, to top it all off, Doctor Doom didn't do it! But several months after this comic was written, that hasn't been addressed. I know that the wheels of comic books can move slowly and maybe it will be addressed that the Mighty Avengers total lack of anything resembling detective work resulted in them invading a sovereign nation, beating up an innocent man (or, at least, innocent of what they charged him with) and then humiliating this disfigured man.

And as far as I can tell, no one really has a problem with this. It baffles me.

No comments: